Monday, July 13, 2009

Jerry Seeks Advice

your professional opinion on two matters.....
1 message
jerry@jerryblackman.com Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:12 PM
To: Leah Stuhltrager
Hey Leah,
In the spirit of the our show I thought I'd run it by you first before I make what might be some important decisions.

Firstly, I've been invited for a residency at the Vermont Studio Center http://www.vermontstudiocenter.org/ Unlike other residencies which are highly competitive in terms of admissions, it is only the available scholarships that eligible participants strive against each other for. I think basically anyone who applies gets in and it is only a question of who gets what monetary inducement. Out of a standard $3750 tuition, I've been asked to be responsible for only $2200, room and board included. Perhaps if I schedule my one month stay for a more inconvenient time of year, say, deep winter, the price will go down. It would still be very expensive especially considering my respective studio and apartment rents here in NY, that I'd still be responsible for. What do you think? Necessary fodder for the CV? Good career move in terms of connections? Tranquil time in desolated beauty? I'm interested in your opinions.

Secondly, there is an opportunity posted on ARTSLANT that I find interesting:http://www.artslant.com/global/articles/show/8433

The Bravo network is hosting an open call for an art reality tv show. Jeffrey Deitch did something similar with "Art Star" and the Fuse network did something called "Art Race". Is this a total career buster? Does it trivialize the normal and honest avenues to artistic recognition? Is there such a thing as a normal and honest avenue? Again, before I apply for this I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

Thank you for your time and look forward to reading your reply

-Jerry

Catching up and Vermont Studio Residency Insight...
Leah Stuhltrager Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM
To: jerry@jerryblackman.com
Jerry -

Just sent the below email out to an artist who I've worked with.
Let's see what his first hand experiences are.

As far as the Audition Call...
When James Fuentes curated the Art Star reality/happening at Deitch, it was as an art piece in itself. It was produced by those who loved Art for the art world. The the joke/laughs/satire was the theme - not those participating. The artists were in on it and in that way, they could call their on shots. The reality show casting at White Columns soon is going to be edited by tv producers for the general public. It is not about Art but about entertaining the masses watching from home. I won't tell you not to audition for the tv reality show. If you decide to audition, just keep in mind that the producers will be the only ones to show anyone looking who you are thru cutting and pasting to create the picture that brings them the highest ratings. Hmmmm... Guess that tv reality producers might be artists after all. They just aren't ones I view much.

Hope this helps.
I'll get back to you when I hear more re: Vermont...

-L





No comments:

Post a Comment